Re: Ceph-mgr :: Grafana + Telegraf / influxdb metrics format

Quoting Miroslav Kalina (miroslav.kalina@xxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Hello guys,
>
> is there anyone using Telegraf / InfluxDB metrics exporter with Grafana
> dashboards? I am asking like that because I was unable to find any
> existing Grafana dashboards based on InfluxDB.

\o (telegraf)

> I am having hard times with creating graphs I want to see. Metrics are
> exported in way that every single one is stored in separated series in
> Influx like:
>
> > ceph_pool_stats,cluster=ceph1,metric=read value=1234 1550658911000000000
> > ceph_pool_stats,cluster=ceph1,metric=write value=1234 1550658911000000000
> > ceph_pool_stats,cluster=ceph1,metric=total value=1234 1550658911000000000
>
> instead of single series like:
>
> > ceph_pool_stats,cluster=ceph1 read=1234,write=1234,total=1234
> 1550658911000000000

> I didn't see any possibility how to modify metrics format exported to
> Telegraf. I feel like I am missing something pretty obvious here.

You are not missing anything here, this is how it is. The InfluxDB
module was designed (and coded AFAIK) like the Prometheus module (which
was fist). The telegraf module was designed as a "drop-in" replacement
for InfluxDB. But unlike Prometheus you can't do math in InfluxDB which
complicates things. Besides that, some essential metrics are completely
missing in all but Prometheus module [1]. And then there are metrics not
exported at all by the manager. They opened an "etherpad" for that [2].
We are using the "local" ceph plugin of telegraf to export extra
metrics. You can than use those metrics with this dashboard [3]. You can
use the Prometheus metrics and push them to InfluxDB with the Prometheus
plugin in telegraf [4]. You might be abble to use a Prometheus dashboard
and convert that to InfluxDB compatible dashboard in Grafana. I think I
would do that if I would do it all over again. And / or use Prometheus
with a InfluxDB as the backend for long(er) term storage. With the new
InluxDB query langue "flux" [5], this whole thing might become something
of the past. It can already be tested out in Grafana in a BETA [6].

Gr. Stefan

[1]: https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/41881
[2]: https://pad.ceph.com/p/perf-counters-to-expose
[3]: https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards/7995