Re: PG Balancer Upmap mode not working

On 12/7/19 1:42 PM, Philippe D'Anjou wrote:
> @Wido Den Hollander
>
> That doesn't explain why its between 76 and 92 PGs, that's major not equal.

The balancer will balance the PGs so that all OSDs have an almost equal
data usage. It doesn't balance that all OSDs have an equal amount of PGs.

The end goal is to make sure all OSDs are filled equally.

> Raising PGs to 100 is an old statement anyway, anything 60+ should be
> fine. Not an excuse for distribution failure in this case.
> I am expecting more or less equal PGs/OSD

That will not happen. Objects are distributed over PGs based on the hash
of their name and not their size. The distribution of objects over PGs
is almost perfect.

However, objects will vary in size. If you are low on the amount of PGs
you'll have PGs which are bigger then others. This causes data
distribution to be off.

Therefor it can help to increase the amount of PGs as that will result
in a better distribution. PGs will be less varied in size and makes them
easier to balance.

In addition you gain more parallel performance and suffer less from PG
contention.

As disks (or SSDs) become bigger and bigger you can benefit by having
more PGs.

Hope this explains it :-)

Wido