Re: best pool usage for vmware backing

Just a note that we use SUSE for our Ceph/Vmware system

this is the general ceph docs for vmware/iscsi

this is the SUSE docs

they differ

I'll tell you what we've done and have been running for 3 years

We had a bunch of pools - but condensed them down to just one
This allows for more PGs -
within the pool we have 4 RBDs (can have more or less) mapped to 4 vmware datastores
We have two iscsi gateways  - will add a third
but for now we have 3 vmware hosts
two 40 GB switches, 2 iscsi gateways, 4 luns = 16 paths (each lun has 4 paths)

We can take a switch offline or a gateway - everything is multi-pathed and so stays up

We have about 200 VMs from 12 GB to 20 TB each

>>> Philip  Brown <pbrown@xxxxxxxxxx> 12/5/2019 11:24 AM >>>
Okay then.. how DO you load balance across ceph iscsi gateways?
You said "check the docs", but as far as I can tell, that info isnt in there.
Or at least not in the logical place, such as the iscsi gateway setup pages, under
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/iscsi-targets/