Re: What does the ceph-volume@simple-crazyhexstuff SystemD service do? And what to do about oversized MDS cache?

The ceph-volume services make sure that the right partitions are mounted at /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-X

In "simple" mode the service gets the necessary information from a json file (long-hex-string.json) in /etc/ceph

ceph-volume simple scan/activate create the json file and systemd unit.

ceph-disk used udev instead for the activation which was *very* messy and a frequent cause of long startup delays (seen > 40 minutes on encrypted ceph-disk OSDs)

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io