Re: SSDs behind Hardware Raid

But I guess that in 'ceph osd tree' the ssd's were then also displayed
as hdd?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stolte, Felix [mailto:f.stolte@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: woensdag 4 december 2019 9:12
To: ceph-users
Subject:  SSDs behind Hardware Raid

Hi guys,

maybe this is common knowledge for the most of you, for me it was not:

if you are using SSDs behind a raid controller in raid mode  (not JBOD)
make sure your operating system treats them correctly as SSDs. I am an
Ubuntu user but I think the following applies to all linux operating
systems:

/sys/block/<devicename>/queue/rotational determines if an device is
treated as rotational or not. 0 stands for SSD, 1 for Rotational.

In my case Ubuntu treated my SSDs (Raid 0, 1 Disk) as rotational.
Changing the parameter above for my SSDs to 0 and restarting the
corresponding osd daemons increased 4K write IOPS drastically:

rados -p ssd bench 60 write -b 4K (6 Nodes, 3 SSDs each)

Before: ~5200 IOPS

After: ~11500 IOPS

@Developers: I am aware that this is not directly a ceph issue, but
maybe you could consider to add this hint in your documentation. I could
be wrong, but I think I am not the only one using a hw raid controller
for osds (not willingly by the way).

On a sidenote: ceph-volume lvm batch uses the rotational parameter as
well for identifying SSDs (please correct me if I am wrong).

Best regards

Felix

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH

52425 Juelich