Re: EC PGs stuck activating, 2^31-1 as OSD ID, automatic recovery not kicking in

On 22.11.19 23:45, Paul Emmerich wrote:
tools), it means no mapping could be found; check your crush map and
crush rule

Most simple way to get into this state is to change OSDs' reweight on small cluster where number of OSDs equal to EC n+k. I do not know exactly, but seems that straw2 crush algorithm has no default/fallback policy to pick osd for pg.

For example if you have 8 osd, failure_domain=osd and ec profile with k=5,m=3 and then you eventually change reweight of some osd then crush algorithm fails to satisfy both requirements:
- failure domain
- number of pgs on osd be proportional to weight

Btw I've newer saw any explanation of decision not to pick OSD in this case.
I mean why not to pick OSD and leave PG in degraded state is better then violate weight requirements?