Re: FUSE X kernel mounts

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 1:57 PM Robert Sander
<r.sander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 25.11.19 um 13:36 schrieb Rodrigo Severo - Fábrica:
>
> > I would like to know the expected differences between a FUSE and a kernel mount.
> >
> > Why the 2 options? When should I use one and when should I use the other?
>
> The kernel mount code always lags behind the development process. But
> has better performance.
>
> If you have a recent kernel, you can use the kernel mount.
> If you have an enterprise distribution with older kernel, use FUSE for
> current features.

An enterprise distribution is very likely to backport most of the
features available in recent kernels.  As an example, quotas are
supported in RHEL/CentOS 7.6 and above, even though those kernels
have 3.10 in their version (quotas appeared in 4.17).  The same goes
for bug fixes and misc improvements.

It's older upstream kernels that generally miss a lot of important
bug fixes that you need to stay vary of.

Thanks,

                Ilya