Re: cluster network down

On 10/1/19 8:20 AM, Lars Täuber wrote:
> Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:21:18 +0200
> Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> ==> Lars Täuber <taeuber@xxxxxxx> :
>>>
>>> I don't remember where I read it, but it was told that the cluster is
>>> migrating its complete traffic over to the public network when the cluster
>>> networks goes down. So this seems not to be the case?
>>>

>> Be careful with generalizations like "when a network acts up, it will be
>> completely down and noticeably unreachable for all parts", since networks
>> can break in thousands of not-very-obvious ways which are not 0%-vs-100%
>> but somewhere in between.
>>

> Ok. I ask my question in a new way.
> What does ceph do, when I switch off all switches of the cluster network?

-> confused cluster, osds down

> Does ceph handle this silently without interruption? Does the heartbeat systems use the public network as a failover automatically?

No and no.

The osds uses the cluster network for replication and heartbeats [1]
(between osds) - if the heartbeat fails they try to report the other
osds to the mon as down.

As far as i know there is no failover to the public network.

Michel.

[1]
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rados/configuration/network-config-ref/#cluster-network