Re: Replace ceph osd in a container

> I am suspecting that mon or mgr have no access to /dev or /var/lib while osd containers do.
> Cluster configured originally by ceph-ansible (nautilus 14.2.2)

They don't, because they don't need to.

> The question is if I want to replace all disks on a single node, and I have 6 nodes with pools
> replication 3, is it safe to restart mgr mounting /dev and /var/lib/ceph volumes (not configured right now).

Restarting mons is safe in the sense that data will not get lost. However, access might get lost temporarily.

The question is, how many mons do you have? If you have only 1 or 2, it will mean downtime. If you can bear the downtime, it doesn't matter. If you have at least 3, you can restart one after the other.

However, I would not do that. Having to restart a mon container every time some minor container config changes for reasons that have nothing to do with a mon sounds like calling for trouble.

I also use containers and would recommend a different approach. I created an additional type of container (ceph-adm) that I use for all admin tasks. Its the same image and the entry point simply executes a sleep infinity. In this container I make all relevant hardware visible. You might also want to expose /var/run/ceph to be able to use admin sockets without hassle. This way, I separated admin operations from actual storage daemons and can modify and restart the admin container as I like.

Best regards,

Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14