Re: RDMA

Hi All -

I did some investigation into Ceph RDMA as part of a performance analysis project working with Ceph over Omnipath and NVME.

I wrote up some of the analysis here: https://www.stackhpc.com/ceph-on-the-brain-a-year-with-the-human-brain-project.html

My conclusion at the time was that Ceph’s RDMA support was not portable across different RDMA-capable network fabrics, but that RoCE worked pretty well.  Unfortunately, on the hardware I had available for RoCE testing the network was not the bottleneck, so I didn’t see any compelling advantage.  It would be great to do this testing again on a system with the potential to really shine.

This work concluded about a year ago, so might be a little out of date.

Best wishes,
Stig