Re: 14.2.4 Deduplication

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So since nobody who's actually working on it has chimed in:
While there is some deduplication functionality built into the system,
AFAIK it's not something considered for users at this point. It's
under ongoing development, doesn't have performance data, and isn't
plumbed through into a lot of the system. Last I heard about it was a
discussion about how to handle the reference counting used to delete
data when it's no longer needed. (See the thread "refcounting chunks
vs snapshots" and https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/29283)
-Greg

I was holding off, as this is really not a part of Ceph, but we have done some preliminary testing of VDO as a client on top of RBD, and it looked fine.  We also run borg on top of RBD, which is also stable and able to handle large volumes of data.  Hope this helps.

--
Alex Gorbachev
Intelligent Systems Services Inc.