Re: Ceph multi site outage question

Boy, Jewel is pretty old. Even Luminous is getting up there. There have been a lot of multisite improvements in Mimic and now Nautilus, so you might want to consider upgrading all the way to 14.2.4.

Anyway, the way we solve this is by giving each zone a different name (eg application1a/application1b), and then having a virtual IP for application1. We then move the virtual IP around whichever zone we want to have accepting traffic for that zonegroup. In our case we're advertising the virtual IP on all of the radosgw instances using bgp and then letting our routers do per-stream ECMP to load balance the traffic. Each RGW in each cluster checks the realm's period every few seconds and decides to announce/withdraw the IP based on whether that rgw's zone is the master zone for the zonegroup (plus whether the rgw instance is healthy, etc).

We have both application1.example.com and application1a/application1b.example.com as hostnames in the zonegroup config, but just application1.example.com for the endpoint. I'm not sure what the equivalent settings are on Jewel's multisite, if any. If you're routing radosgw traffic through a reverse proxy or load balancer you can also rewrite the host header on the fly.

Hope this helps,
Ed