Re: Ceph and centos 8

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019, fleg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a ceph+cephfs cluster runing nautilus version 14.2.4
> We have debian buster/ubuntu bionic clients mounting cephfs in kernel mode without problems.
> We now want to mount cephfs from our new centos 8 clients. Unfortunately, ceph-common is needed but there are no packages available for el8 (only el7). And no way to install the el7 packages on centos 8 (missing deps).
> Thus, despite the fact that centos 8 have a 4.18 kernel (required to use quota, snapshots etc...), it seems impossible to mount in kernel mode (good perfs) and we still have to use the so slow fuse mode.
> Is it possible to workaround this problem ? Or when is it planned to provides (even as beta) the ceph packages for centos 8 ?

We should have el8 packages built Real Soon Now.

In the meantime, you don't need ceph-common to mount cephfs; the only real
function of mount.ceph is to resolve the monitor name to an IP and pull
the secret out of the secretfile.  If you specify the monitor IP then

  mount -t ceph $monip:/ -o secret=$secret,name=...

should work.

sage