Re: removing/flattening a bucket without data movement?

On 2019-08-31 06:02, Konstantin Shalygin wrote:
On 8/31/19 3:42 AM, Zoltan Arnold Nagy wrote:

Originally our osd tree looked like this:

ID  CLASS WEIGHT     TYPE NAME                     STATUS REWEIGHT PRI-AFF
 -1       2073.15186 root default
-14        176.63100     rack s01-rack
-19        176.63100         host s01
<snip osds>
-15        171.29900     rack s02-rack
-20        171.29900         host s02
<snip osds>

etc. You get the idea. It was a legacy thing as we've been upgrading this cluster
since probably firefly, and started with way less hardware.

The crush rule was set up like this originally:

        step take default
        step chooseleaf firstn 0 type rack

which we have modified to

        step take default
        step chooseleaf firstn 0 type host

taking advantage of chooseleaf's behavior (eg searching in depth instead of just
a single level).

Now we thought we could get rid of the rack buckets simply by moving the host buckets to the root using "ceph osd crush move s01 root=default", however
this resulted in a bunch of data movement.

Swapping the IDs manually in the crushmap seems to work (verified via crushtool's --compare), eg. changing the ID of s01 to s01-rack's and vice versa, including
all shadow trees.

Looking around I saw that there is a swap-bucket command but that does not swap
the IDs just bucket contents, so would result in data movement.

Other than manually editing the crushmap is there a better way to achieve this?
Is this way the most optimal?

If you are on Luminous+ version - upmap.

Could you elaborate a bit more? upmap is used to map specific PGs to specific OSDs
in order to deal with CRUSH inefficiencies.

Why would I want to add a layer of indirection when the goal is to remove the bucket
entirely?