Help understanding EC object reads

Hi all,

I’m investigating an issue with our (non-Ceph) caching layers of our large EC cluster. It seems to be turning users requests for whole objects into lots of small byte range requests reaching the OSDs, but I’m not sure how inefficient this behaviour is in reality.

My limited understanding of an EC object partial read is that the entire object is reconstructed on the primary OSD, and then the requested byte range is sent to the client before the primary discards the reconstructed object.

Assuming this is correct, do multiple reads for different byte ranges of the same object at effectively the same time result in the entire object being reconstructed once for each request, or does the primary do something clever and use the same reconstructed object for multiple requests before discarding it?

If I’m completely off the mark with what is going on under the hood here, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom