Re: strange backfill delay after outing one node

On 14/08/2019 10:44, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> On 8/14/19 9:48 AM, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
>> Is it a good idea to give the above commands or other commands to speed
>> up the backfilling? (e.g. like increasing "osd max backfills")
>>

> Yes, as right now the OSDs aren't doing that many backfills. You still
> have a large queue of PGs which need to be backfilled.
>
> $ ceph tell osd.* config set osd_max_backfills 5
>
> The default is that only one (1) backfills runs at the same time per
> OSD. By setting it to 5 you speed up the process by increasing the
> concurrency. This will however add load to the system and thus reduce
> the available I/O for clients.

Currently the main user is the backfilling, so that's ok for now ;-)

It seems to reduce the wait time by about 3-5 times, so this will help
us make the changes we need. We can always reduce the max_backfills
later when we have actual users on the system...

Cheers

/Simon