optane + 4x SSDs for VM disk images?

Hi

I am building a 3-node Ceph cluster to storE VM disk images.

We are running Ceph Nautilus with KVM.

Each node has:

Xeon 4116
512GB ram per node
Optane 905p NVMe disk with 980 GB

Previously, I was creating four OSDs per Optane disk, and using only Optane disks for all storage.

However, if I could get say 4x980GB SSDs for each node, would that improve anything?

Is there a good way of using the Optane disks as a cache? (WAL?) Or what would be a good way of making use of this hardware for VM disk images?

Could performance of Optane + 4x SSDs per node ever exceed that of pure Optane disks?

Thanks,
Victor