Re: BlueStore _txc_add_transaction errors (possibly related to bug #38724)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019, Florian Haas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it seems there have been several reports in the past related to
> BlueStore OSDs crashing from unhandled errors in _txc_add_transaction:
>
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2019-April/034444.html
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2019-January/032172.html
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-December/031960.html
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-December/031964.html
>
> Bug #38724 tracks this, has been fixed in master with
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/27929, and is pending backports (and,
> I dare say, is *probably* misclassified as being only minor, as this
> does cause potential data loss as soon as it affects enough OSDs
> simultaneously):
>
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/38724
>
> We just ran into a similar issue with a couple of BlueStore OSDs that we
> recently added to a Luminous (12.2.12) cluster that was upgraded from
> Jewel, and hence, still largely runs on FileStore. I say similar because
> evidently other people reporting this problem have been running into
> ENOENT (No such file or directory) or ENOTEMPTY (Directory not empty);
> for us it's interestingly E2BIG (Argument list too long):
>
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/38724#note-26

        {
            "op_num": 2,
            "op_name": "truncate",
            "collection": "2.293_head",
            "oid": "#-4:c96337db:::temp_recovering_2.293_11123'6472830_288833_head:head#",
            "offset": 4457615932
        },

That offsize (size) is > 4 GB.  BlueStore has a hard limit of 2^32-1 for
object sizes (because it uses a uint32_t).  This cluster appears to have
some ginormous rados objects.  Until those are removed, you
can't/shouldn't use bluestore.

This makes me think we should have scrub issue errors if it encounters
rados objects that are bigger than the configured limit.  And bluestore
should refuse to start if the configured limit is > 4GB.  Or something
along those lines...

sage