Re: New CRUSH device class questions

Is it possible to add a new device class like 'metadata'?

Yes, but you don't need this. Just use your existing class with another crush ruleset.

If I set the device class manually, will it be overwritten when the OSD
boots up?

Nope. Classes assigned automatically when OSD is created, not boot'ed.

I read https://ceph.com/community/new-luminous-crush-device-classes/ and it
mentions that Ceph automatically classifies into hdd, ssd, and nvme. Hence
the question.

But it's not a magic. Sometimes drive can be sata ssd, but in kernel is 'rotational'...

We will still have 13 OSDs, it will be overkill for space for metadata, but
since Ceph lacks a reserve space feature, we don't have  many options. This
cluster is so fast that it can fill up in the blink of an eye.

Not true. You always can set per-pool quota in bytes, for example:

* your meta is 1G;

* your raw space is 300G;

* your data is 90G;

Set quota to your data pool: `ceph osd pool set-quota <data_pool> max_bytes 96636762000`