Re: MDS fails repeatedly while handling many concurrent meta data operations

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 1:58 PM Janek Bevendorff <janek.bevendorff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ceph-fuse ?
No, I am using the kernel module.

which version?

Was there "Client xxx failing to respond to cache pressure" health warning?

At first, yes (at least with the Mimic client). There were also warnings about being behind on trimming. I haven't seen these warnings with Nautilus now, but the effect is pretty much the same: boatloads of runaway inodes.

I tried to find other discussions about these warnings here on the list or elsewhere in the Internet, but couldn't find anything useful except that it shouldn't happen.

try mounting cephfs on a machine/vm with small memory (4G~8G), then rsync your date into mount point of that machine.

The MDS nodes have  Xeon E5-2620 v4 CPUs @2.10GHz with 32 threads (Dual
CPU with 8 physical cores each) and 128GB RAM. CPU usage is rather mild.
While MDSs are trying to rejoin, they tend to saturate a single thread
shortly, but nothing spectacular. During normal operation, none of the
cores is particularly under load.

> While migrating to a Nautilus cluster recently, we had up to 14
> million inodes open, and we increased the cache limit to 16GiB. Other
> than warnings about oversized cache, this caused no issues.

I tried settings of 1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 20, 50, and 90GB. Other than getting
rid of the cache size warnings (and sometimes allowing an MDS to rejoin
without being kicked again after a few seconds), it did not change much
in terms of the actual problem. Right now I can change it to whatever I
want, it doesn't do anything, because rank 0 keeps being trashed anyway
(the other ranks are fine, but the CephFS is down anyway). Is there
anything useful I can give you to debug this? Otherwise I would try
killing the MDS daemons so I can at least restore the CephFS to a
semi-operational state.