Re: reproducable rbd-nbd crashes

On 07/22/2019 06:00 AM, Marc Schöchlin wrote:
>> With older kernels no timeout would be set for each command by default,
>> so if you were not running that tool then you would not see the nbd
>> disconnect+io_errors+xfs issue. You would just see slow IOs.
>>
>> With newer kernels, like 4.15, nbd.ko always sets a per command timeout
>> even if you do not set it via a nbd ioctl/netlink command. By default
>> the timeout is 30 seconds. After the timeout period then the kernel does
>> that disconnect+IO_errors error handling which causes xfs to get errors.
>>
> Did i get you correctly: Setting a unlimited timeout should prevent crashes on kernel 4.15?

It looks like with newer kernels there is no way to turn it off.

You can set it really high. There is no max check and so it depends on
various calculations and what some C types can hold and how your kernel
is compiled. You should be able to set the timer to an hour.

> For testing purposes i set the timeout to unlimited ("nbd_set_ioctl /dev/nbd0 0", on already mounted device).
> I re-executed the problem procedure and discovered that the compression-procedure crashes not at the same file, but crashes 30 seconds later with the same crash behavior.

0 will cause the default timeout of 30 secs to be used.