Re: Returning to the performance in a small cluster topic

Hello, Paul!

You are effectively measuring the latency with jobs=1 here (which is appropriate considering that the WAL of a DB is effectively limited by latency) and yeah, a networked file system will always be a little bit slower than a local disk.

But I think you should be able to get a higher performance here:
* It sometimes helps to disable the write cache on the disks: hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdX
Drives connected via LSI2308, and -W 0 does nothing. I change write cache via udev queue/write_cache setting it to "write through" - it does the trick.

* Sometimes this helps: sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_low_latency=1
* Some more esoteric things about pinning processes to NUMA nodes usually doesn't really help with latency (but throughput).

You can run "ceph daemon osd.X perf dump" to get really detailed statistics about how much time the OSD is spending on the individual steps.
Thanks a lot, I'll try to dig into perf dump, too many numbers for the quick look.

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io