Re: Returning to the performance in a small cluster topic

Hi, Lars!

is this a replicated or EC pool?
This is a replicated pool with size = 3.

>   The cluster itself:
>   nautilus
>   6 nodes, 7 SSD with 2 OSDs per SSD (14 OSDs in overall).

You mean 14 OSDs per node, right?
No, I mean it is 14 OSDs on 7 SSDs at all: 5 nodes with 1 SSD and 1 node with 2 SSDs. Small cluster.

>   Each node: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2665 v1 (governor = performance, powersaving
> disabled), 64GB RAM, Samsung SM863 1.92TB SSD, QDR Infiniband.
I assume that's the cluster backend. How are the clients connected?
Infiniband serves both for cluster and client networks.

>   I've tried to make an RAID0 with mdraid and 2 virtual drives but haven't
> noticed any difference.

Your problem isn't bandwidth - it's the commit latency for the small IO.
In your enviroment, that's primarily going to be governed by network
(and possibly ceph-osd CPU) latency. That doesn't show up as high
utilization anywhere, because it's mainly waiting.

Most networking is terrifyingly slow compared to the latency of a local
flash storage device. And with Ceph, you've got to add at least two
roundtrips to every IO (client - primary OSD, primary OSD - replicas,
probably more, and if you us EC with ec_overwrites, definitely more
roundtrips).
Is it possible to check this anyhow? ping shows average latency ~0.147 ms which is pretty high for IB but might be reasonable (IPoIB).

Regards,
    Lars

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)

С уважением,
Дробышевский Владимир
Проект "ЦИФРУМ: цифровые удалённые рабочие места"
+7 343 2222192

Аутсорсинг ИТ-инфраструктуры (хостинг IaaS, виртуальных машин)
ИТ-консалтинг
Поставка проектов "под ключ"
Аутсорсинг ИТ-услуг