Re: writable snapshots in cephfs? GDPR/DSGVO

What about creating snaps on a 'lower level' in the directory structure
so you do not need to remove files from a snapshot as a work around?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree [mailto:lmb@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: donderdag 11 juli 2019 10:21
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  writable snapshots in cephfs? GDPR/DSGVO

On 2019-07-10T09:59:08, Lars Täuber  <taeuber@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everbody!
>
> Is it possible to make snapshots in cephfs writable?
> We need to remove files because of this General Data Protection
Regulation also from snapshots.

Removing data from existing WORM storage is tricky, snapshots being a
specific form thereof. If you want to avoid copying and altering all
existing records - which might clash with the requirement from other
fields that data needs to be immutable, but I guess you could store
checksums externally somewhere? -, this is difficult.

I think what you'd need is an additional layer - say, one holding the
decryption keys for the tenant/user (or whatever granularity you want to
be able to remove data at) - that you can still modify.

Once the keys have been successfully and permanently wiped, the old data
is effectively permanently deleted (from all media; whether Ceph snaps
or tape or other immutable storage).

You may have a record that you *had* the data.

Now, of course, you've got to manage keys, but that's significantly less
data to massage.

Not a lawyer, either.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Lars

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB
21284 (AG Nürnberg) "Architects should open possibilities and not