Re: Possible to move RBD volumes between pools?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:25 PM Brett Chancellor
<bchancellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Background: We have a few ceph clusters, each serves multiple Openstack cluster. Each cluster has it's own set of pools.
>
> I'd like to move ~50TB of volumes from an old cluster (we'll call the pool cluster01-volumes) to an existing pool (cluster02-volumes) to later be imported by a different Openstack cluster. I could run something like this...
> rbd export cluster01-volumes/volume-12345 | rbd import cluster02-volumes/volume-12345 .

I'm getting a little confused by the dual use of "cluster" for both
Ceph and OpenStack. Are both pools in the same Ceph cluster? If so,
could you just clone the image to the new pool? The Nautilus release
also includes a simple image live migration tool where it creates a
clone, copies the data and all snapshots to the clone, and then
deletes the original image.

> But that would be slow and duplicate the data which I'd rather not do. Are there any better ways to it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Brett

Jason