Re: Any CEPH's iSCSI gateway users?

Interesting performance increase! I'm Iscsi it at a few installations and now a wonder what version of Centos is required to improve performance! Did the cluster go from Luminous to Mimic?

Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Heðin Ejdesgaard Møller
Sent: Saturday, 8 June 2019 8:00 AM
To: Paul Emmerich <paul.emmerich@xxxxxxxx>; Igor Podlesny <ceph-user@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ceph Users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Any CEPH's iSCSI gateway users?

I recently upgraded a RHCS-3.0 cluster with 4 iGW's to RHCS-3.2 on top of RHEL-
7.6
Big block size performance went from ~350MB/s to about 1100MB/s on each lun, seen from a VM in vSphere-6.5 with data read from an ssd pool and written to a hdd pool, both being 3/2 replica.
I have not experienced any hick-up since the upgrade.
You will always have a degree of performance hit when using the iGW, because it's both an extra layer between consumer and hardware, and a potential choke- point, just like any "traditional" iSCSI based SAN solution.

If you are considering to deploy the iGW on the upstream bits then I would recommend you to stick to CentOS, since a lot of it's development have happened on the RHEL platform.

Regards
Heðin Ejdesgaard
Synack sp/f

On frí, 2019-06-07 at 12:44 +0200, Paul Emmerich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ceph-iscsi 3.0 fixes a lot of problems and limitations of the older gateway.
>
> Best way to run it on Debian/Ubuntu is to build it yourself
>

> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Emmerich
>
> Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at
> https://croit.io
>
> croit GmbH
> Freseniusstr. 31h
> 81247 München
> www.croit.io
> Tel: +49 89 1896585 90
>

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:02 AM Igor Podlesny <ceph-user@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What is your experience?
> > Does it make sense to use it -- is it solid enough or beta quality
> > rather (both in terms of stability and performance)?
> >
> > I've read it was more or less packaged to work with RHEL. Does it
> > hold true still?
> > What's the best way to install it on, say, CentOS or Debian/Ubuntu?

This e-mail is intended solely for the benefit of the addressee(s) and any other named recipient. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. If you are not the recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. The confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication is not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken transmission or delivery to you. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately.