Re: Cephfs free space vs ceph df free space disparity

Quoting Robert Ruge (robert.ruge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Ceph newbie question.
>
> I have a disparity between the free space that my cephfs file system
> is showing and what ceph df is showing.  As you can see below my
> cephfs file system says there is 9.5TB free however ceph df says there
> is 186TB which with replication size 3 should equate to 62TB free
> space.  I guess the basic question is how can I get cephfs to see and
> use all of the available space?  I recently changed my number of pg's
> on the cephfs_data pool from 2048 to 4096 and this gave me another 8TB
> so do I keep increasing the number of pg's or is there something else
> that I am missing? I have only been running ceph for ~6 months so I'm
> relatively new to it all and not being able to use all of the space is
> just plain bugging me.

My guess here is you have a lot of small files in your cephfs, is that
right? Do you have HDD or SDD/NVMe?

Mohamad Gebai gave a talk about this at Cephalocon 2019:
https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/cephalocon2019/d2/cephalocon-2019-mohamad-gebai.pdf
for the slides and the recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FbUEbiUrw&list=PLrBUGiINAakNCnQUosh63LpHbf84vegNu&index=29&t=0s

TL;DR: there is a bluestore_min_alloc_size_ssd which is 16K default for
SSD and 64K default for HDD. With lots of small objects this might add
up to *a lot* of overhead. You can change that to 4k:

bluestore min alloc size ssd = 4096
bluestore min alloc size hdd = 4096

You will have to rebuild _all_ of your OSDs though.

Here is another thread about this:
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-February/thread.html#24801

Gr. Stefan