Re: pool migration for cephfs?

Lars, I just got done doing this after generating about a dozen CephFS subtrees for different Kubernetes clients.

tl;dr: there is no way for files to move between filesystem formats (ie CephFS ,> RBD) without copying them.

If you are doing the same thing, there may be some relevance for you in https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/643. It’s worth checking to see if it meets your use case if so.

In any event, what I ended up doing was letting Kubernetes create the new PV with the RBD provisioner, then using find piped to cpio to move the file subtree. In a non-Kubernetes environment, one would simply create the destination RBD as usual. It should be most performant to do this on a monitor node.

cpio ensures you don’t lose metadata. It’s been fine for me, but if you have special xattrs that the clients of the files need, be sure to test that those are copied over. It’s very difficult to move that metadata once a file is copied and even harder to deal with a situation where the destination volume went live and some files on the destination are both newer versions and missing metadata.

Brian