How to maximize the OSD effective queue depth in Ceph?

I'm setting up a new Ceph cluster with fast SSD drives, and there is
one problem I want to make sure to address straight away:
comically-low OSD queue depths.

On the past several clusters I built, there was one major performance
problem that I never had time to really solve, which is this:
regardless of how much work the RBDs were being asked to do, the OSD
effective queue depth (as measured by iostat's "avgrq-sz" column)
never went above 3... even if I had multiple RBDs with queue depths in
the thousands.

This made sense back in the old days of spinning drives.  However, for
example with these particular drives and a 4K or 16K block size you
don't see maximum read performance until the queue depth gets to 50+.
At a queue depth of 4 the bandwidth is less than 20% what it is at
256.  The bottom line here is that Ceph performance is simply
embarrassing whenever the OSD effective queue depth is in single
digits.

On my last cluster, I spent a week or two researching and trying OSD
config parameters trying to increase the queue depth.  So far, the
only effective method I have seen to increase the effective OSD queue
depth is a gross hack - using multiple partitions per SSD to create
multiple OSDs.

My questions:

1) Is there anyone on this list who has solved this problem already?
On the performance articles I have seen, the authors don't show iostat
results (or any OSD effective queue depth numbers) so I can't really
tell.

2) If there isn't a good response to #1, is anyone else out there able
to do some experimentation to help figure this out?  All you would
need to do to get started is collect the output of this command while
a high-QD rbd test is happening: "iostat -mtxy 1" -- you should
collect it on all of the OSD servers as well as the client (you will
want to attach an RBD and talk to it via /dev/rbd0 otherwise iostat
probably won't see it).

3) If there is any technical reason why this is impossible, please let
me know before I get to far down this road... but because the multiple
partitions trick works so well I expect it must be possible somehow.

Thanks,
Mark