Rolling upgrade fails with flag norebalance with background IO

Ceph-ansible 3.2, rolling upgrade mimic -> nautilus. The ansible file sets flag "norebalance". When there is*no* I/O to the cluster, upgrade works fine. When upgrading with IO running in the background, some PG become `active+undersized+remapped+backfilling`
Flag norebalance prevents them from backfilling / recovering and upgrade fails. I'm uncertain why those OSD are "backfilling" instead of "recovering" but I guess it doesn't matter, norebalance halts the process.

setting ceph tell osd.* injectargs '--osd_max_backfills=2 made no difference

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ansible/commit/08d94324545b3c4e0f6a1caf6224f37d1c2b36db <-- did anyone other then the author verify this?

Tarek