Re: Stalls on new RBD images.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 7:26 AM <jesper@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm fishing a bit here.
>
> What we see is that when we have new VM/RBD/SSD-backed images the
> time before they are "fully written" first time - can be lousy
> performance. Sort of like they are thin-provisioned and the subsequent
> growing of the images in Ceph deliveres a performance hit.

Do you have object-map enabled? On a very fast flash-based Ceph
cluster, the object-map becomes a bottleneck on empty RBD images since
the OSDs are only capable of performing ~2-3K object map updates /
second. Since the object-map is only updated when a backing object is
first written, that could account for initial performance hit.
However, once the object-map is updated, it is no longer in the IO
path so you can achieve 10s of thousands of writes per second.

> Does anyone else have someting similar in their setup - how do you deal
> with it?
>
> KVM based virtualization, Ceph Luminous.
>
> Any suggestions/hints/welcome
>
> Jesper

Jason