Re: Data distribution question

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:01 PM Igor Podlesny <ceph-user@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > yes, mgr balancer, mode upmap.
>
> Also -- do your CEPHs have single root hierarchy pools (like
> "default"), or there're some pools that use non-default ones?
>
> Looking through docs I didn't find a way to narrow balancer's scope
> down to specific pool(s), although personally I would prefer it to
> operate on a small set of them.

We have a mix of both single and dual root hierarchies -- the upmap
balancer works for all.
(E.g. this works: pool A with 3 replicas in root A, pool B with 3
replicas in root B.
However if you have a cluster with two roots, and a pool that does
something complex like put 2 replicas in root A and 1 replica in root
B -- I haven't tested that recently).

In luminous and mimic there isn't a way to scope the auto balancing
down to limited pools.
In practice that doesn't really matter, because of how it works, roughly:

while true:
   select a random pool
   get the pg distribution for that pool
   create upmaps (or remove existing upmaps) to balance the pgs for that pool
   sleep 60s

Eventually it attacks all pools and gets them fully balanced. (It
anyway spends most of the time balancing the pools that matter,
because the ones that don't have data get "balanced" quickly).
If you absolutely must limit the pools, you have to script something
to loop on `ceph balancer optimize myplan <mypool>; ceph balancer exec
myplan`

Something to reiterate: v12.2.12 has the latest upmap balancing
heuristics, which are miles better than 12.2.11. (Big thanks to Xie
Xingguo who worked hard to get this right!!!)
Mimic v13.2.5 doesn't have those fixes (maybe in the pipeline for
13.2.6?) and I haven't checked Nautilus.
If you're on mimic, then it's upmap balancer heuristics are better
than nothing, but it might be imperfect or not work in certain cases
(e.g. multi-root).

-- Dan