Re: Were fixed CephFS lock ups when it's running on nodes with OSDs?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 22:20 Gregory Farnum, <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 9:29 AM Igor Podlesny <ceph-user@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I remember seeing reports in regards but it's being a while now.
> Can anyone tell?

No, this hasn't changed. It's unlikely it ever will; I think NFS
resolved the issue but it took a lot of ridiculous workarounds and
imposes a permanent memory cost on the client.

On the other hand, we've been running osds and local kernel mounts through some ior stress testing and managed to lock up only one node, only once (and that was with a 2TB shared output file).

Maybe the necessary memory pressure conditions get less likely as the number of clients and osds gets larger? (i.e. it's probably easy to trigger with one single node/osd because all IO is local, but for large clusters most IO is remote).

.. Dan

-Greg