Re: Are there any statistics available on how most production ceph clusters are being used?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:10:02PM +0200, Marc Roos wrote:
> I am a bit curious on how production ceph clusters are being used. I am
> reading here that the block storage is used a lot with openstack and
> proxmox, and via iscsi with vmare.
Have you looked at the Ceph User Surveys/Census?
https://ceph.com/ceph-blog/ceph-user-survey-2018-results/
https://ceph.com/geen-categorie/results-from-the-ceph-census/

> But I since nobody here is interested in a better rgw client for end
> users. I am wondering if the rgw is even being used like this, and what
> most production environments look like.
Your end-user client thread was specifically asking targeting GUI
clients on OSX & Windows. I feel that the GUI client usage of S3
protocol has a much higher visibility to data size ratio than
automation/tooling usage.

As the quantity of data by a single user increases, the odds that GUI
tools are used for it decreases, as it's MUCH more likely to be driven
by automation & tooling around the API.

My earliest Ceph production deployment was mostly RGW (~16TB raw), with
a little bit of RBD/iSCSI usage (~1TB of floating disk between VMs).
Very little of the RGW usage was GUI driven (there certainly was some,
because it made business sense to offer it rather than FTP sites; but it
tiny compared to the automation flows).

My second production deployment I worked was Dreamhost's DreamObjects,
which was over 3PB then: and MOST of the usage was still not GUI-driven.

I'm working at DigitalOcean's Spaces offering now; again, mostly non-GUI
access.

For the second part of your original-query, I feel that any new clients
SHOULD not be RGW-specific; they should be able to work on a wide range
of services that expose the S3 API, and have a good test-suite around
that (s3-tests, but for testing the client implementation; even Boto is
not bug-free).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer