Limits of mds bal fragment size max

We have a user syncing data with some kind of rsync + hardlink based
system creating/removing large numbers of hard links.  We've
encountered many of the issues with stray inode re-integration as
described in the thread and tracker below.

As noted one fix is to increase mds_bal_fragment_size_max so the stray
directories can accommodate the high stray count.  We blew right
through 200,000, then 300,000, and at this point I'm wondering if
there is an upper safe limit on this parameter?   If I go to something
like 1mil to work with this use case will I have other problems?

Background:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg51985.html
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/38849

thanks,