Re: Erasure Coding failure domain (again)

Hello,

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 20:09:58 +0200 Paul Emmerich wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Another thing that crossed my mind aside from failure probabilities caused
> > by actual HDDs dying is of course the little detail that most Ceph
> > installations will have have WAL/DB (journal) on SSDs, the most typical
> > ratio being 1:4.
>
> Unfortunately the ratios seen "in the wild" seems to be a lot higher.
> I've seen 1:100 and 1:60 which is a obviously a really bad idea. But
> 1:24 is also quite common.
>
> 1:12 is quite common: 2 NVMe disks in 24 bay chassis. I think that's
> perfectly reasonable.

Given the numbers Hector provided in the mail just after this one (thanks
for that!), I'd be even less inclined to go that high.
The time for recovering 12 large OSDs (w/o service impact) is going to be
_significant_, increasing the likelihood of something else (2 somethings)
going bang in the mean time.
Cluster size of course plays a role here, too.

The highest ratio I ever considered was this baby with 6 NVMes and it felt
risky on a pure gut level:
https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/6048/SSG-6048R-E1CR60N.cfm

Christian