Re: MDS allocates all memory (>500G) replaying, OOM-killed, repeat

Since my problem is going to be archived on the Internet I'll keep following up, so the next person with this problem might save some time.

The seek was because ext4 can't seek to 23TB, but changing to an xfs mount to create this file resulted in success.

Here is what I wound up doing to fix this:

  • Bring down all MDSes so they stop flapping
  • Back up journal (as seen in previous message)
  • Apply journal manually
  • Reset journal manually
  • Clear session table
  • Clear other tables (not sure I needed to do this)
  • Mark FS down
  • Mark the rank 0 MDS as failed
  • Reset the FS (yes, I really mean it)
  • Restart MDSes
  • Finally get some sleep

If anybody has any idea what may have caused this situation, I am keenly interested. If not, hopefully I at least helped someone else.