Re: CephFS and many small files

Are you running on HDDs? The minimum allocation size is 64kb by
default here. You can control that via the parameter
bluestore_min_alloc_size during OSD creation.
64 kb times 8 million files is 512 GB which is the amount of usable
space you reported before running the test, so that seems to add up.

There's also some metadata overhead etc. You might want to consider
enabling inline data in cephfs to handle small files in a
store-efficient way (note that this feature is officially marked as
experimental, though).
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/experimental-features/#inline-data

Paul

--