Re: Resizing a cache tier rbd

Thanks I did resized using the base tier pool and the RBD is back online without a problem.

Regarding the depreciation, our initial design and setup was well designed with cache tiering for the expected workload. Today (3 - 4 releases later) with cephfs and our real world experiences, we would start different, if we start today.

For some workload a cache tier would still be amazing. e.g. old file archives for RO workload from time to time on a cheep EC pool 12TB SATA drives… Other vendors showed us some designs with nice features, even putting really old „never“ used data to LTO transparently. (The LTO is the end of the tier.)

But there are so many different workloads, environments, requirements, budgets etc, so there is never the one-fits-all.

From my POV ceph offers all kind of features for a lot of different workloads and is fast improving, but it is not for everybody the best choice. Check, evaluate and talk to a consultant.

Or ask the list :)

BTW thanks to the community for the feedback, help and suggestions. Regards . Götz