Re: cephfs manila snapshots best practices

On 20/03/19 16:33 +0100, Dan van der Ster wrote:
Hi all,

We're currently upgrading our cephfs (managed by OpenStack Manila)
clusters to Mimic, and want to start enabling snapshots of the file
shares.
There are different ways to approach this, and I hope someone can
share their experiences with:

1. Do you give users the 's' flag in their cap, so that they can
create snapshots themselves? We're currently planning *not* to do this
-- we'll create snapshots for the users.
2. We want to create periodic snaps for all cephfs volumes. I can see
pros/cons to creating the snapshots in /volumes/.snap or in
/volumes/_nogroup/<uuid>/.snap. Any experience there? Or maybe even
just an fs-wide snap in /.snap is the best approach ?
3. I found this simple cephfs-snap script which should do the job:
http://images.45drives.com/ceph/cephfs/cephfs-snap  Does anyone have a
different recommendation?

Thanks!

Dan

Dan,

Manila of course provides users with self-service file share snapshot capability with quota control of the snapshots. I'm sure you are aware of this but just wanted to get it on record in this thread.

Snapshots are not enabled by default for cephfs native or cephfs with
nfs in Manila because cephfs snapshots were experimental when the
cephfs driver was added and we maintain backwards compatability in
the Manila configuration.  To enable, one sets:

  cephfs_enable_snapshots = True

in the configuration stanza for cephfsnative or cephfsnfs back end.

Also, the ``share_type`` referenced when creating shares (either explicitly or the default one) needs to have the snapshot_support capability enabled -- e.g. the cloud admin would (one time) issue a command like the following:

 $ manila type-key <default-share-type> set snapshot_support=True

With this approach either the user or the administrator can create snapshots of file shares.

Dan, I expect you have your reasons for choosing to control snapshots via a script that calls cephfs-snap directly rather than using Manila -- and of course that's fine -- but if you'd share them it will help us Manila developers consider whether there are use cases that we are not currently addressing that we should consider.

Thanks,

-- Tom Barron