Re: How To Scale Ceph for Large Numbers of Clients?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 6:10 AM Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hmm, 6 GiB of RAM is not a whole lot. Especially if you are going to
increase the amount of OSDs (partitions) like Patrick suggested. By
default it will take 4 GiB per OSD ... Make sure you set the
"osd_memory_target" parameter accordingly [1].

@Stefan: Not sure I follow you here - each OSD pod has 6GiB RAB allocated to it, which accounts for the default 4GiB + 20% mentioned in the docs for `osd_memory_target` plus a little extra. The pods are running on AWS i3.2xlarge instances, which have 61GiB total RAM available, leaving plenty of room for an additional OSD pod to manage the additional partition created on each node. Why would I need to increase the RAM allocated to each OSD pod and adjust `osd_memory_target`? Does using the default values leave me at risk of running into some other kind of priority inversion issue / deadlock / etc.?

@Patrick: Partitioning the NVMe drives and splitting out the metadata pool seemed to work perfectly, so thanks for the tip! I was able to scale up to 1000 pods / 500 nodes in my latest load test, each pod reading ~11k files on a 4-minute interval, and the cluster remained healthy the entire time. Only the fact that I'd maxed out the compute resources of the control plane on my dev K8s cluster prevented me from scaling up higher.

Thanks,
Zack