Re: mount cephfs on ceph servers

AFAIR the issue is that under memory pressure, the kernel will ask
cephfs to flush pages, but that this in turn causes the osd (mds?) to
require more memory to complete the flush (for network buffers, etc). As
long as cephfs and the OSDs are feeding from the same kernel mempool,
you are susceptible. Containers don't protect you, but a full VM, like
xen or kvm? would.

So if you don't hit the low memory situation, you will not see the
deadlock, and you can run like this for years without a problem. I have.
But you are most likely to run out of memory during recovery, so this
could compound your problems.

On 3/7/19 3:56 AM, Marc Roos wrote:

> Container =  same kernel, problem is with processes using the same
> kernel.

Tony Lill, OCT,                       ajlill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
President, A. J. Lill Consultants                 (519) 650 0660
539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2     (519) 241 2461
--------------- http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/ ----------------