Re: Multicast communication compuverde

On 06/02/2019 11:14, Marc Roos wrote:
Yes indeed, but for osd's writing the replication or erasure objects you
get sort of parrallel processing not?

Multicast traffic from storage has a point in things like the old
Windows provisioning software Ghost where you could netboot a room full
och computers, have them listen to a mcast stream of the same data/image
and all apply it at the same time, and perhaps re-sync potentially
missing stuff at the end, which would be far less data overall than
having each client ask the server(s) for the same image over and over.
In the case of ceph, I would say it was much less probable that many
clients would ask for exactly same data in the same order, so it would
just mean all clients hear all traffic (or at least more traffic than
they asked for) and need to skip past a lot of it.