Kernel requirements for balancer in upmap mode

The official documentation [*] says that the only requirement to use the balancer in upmap mode is that all clients must run at least luminous.
But I read somewhere (also in this mailing list) that there are also requirements wrt the kernel.
If so:

1) Could you please specify what is the minimum required kernel ?
2) Does this kernel requirement apply only to the OSD nodes ? Or also to the clients ?

The ceph version I am interested in is Luminous

Thanks a lot, Massimo