Re: Using Ceph central backup storage - Best practice creating pools

Hi Thomas,

What is the best practice for creating pools & images?
Should I create multiple pools, means one pool per database?
Or should I create a single pool "backup" and use namespace when writing
data in the pool?

I don't think one pool per DB is reasonable. If the number of DBs increases you'll have to create more pools and change the respective auth settings. One pool for your DB backups would suffice, and restricting user access is possible on rbd image level. You can grant read/write access for one client and only read access for other clients, you have to create different clients for that, see [1] for more details.

Regards,
Eugen

[1] http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-February/024424.html

Zitat von Thomas <74cmonty@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

my use case for Ceph is serving a central backup storage.
This means I will backup multiple databases in Ceph storage cluster.

This is my question:
What is the best practice for creating pools & images?
Should I create multiple pools, means one pool per database?
Or should I create a single pool "backup" and use namespace when writing
data in the pool?

This is the security demand that should be considered:
DB-owner A can only modify the files that belong to A; other files
(owned by B, C or D) are accessible for A.

And there's another issue:
How can I identify a backup created by client A that I want to restore
on another client Z?
I mean typically client A would write a backup file identified by the
filename.
Would it be possible on client Z to identify this backup file by
filename? If yes, how?

THX