Additional meta data attributes for rgw user?

Hi all,

I'm looking to keep some extra meta-data associated with radosgw users
created by radosgw-admin.  I saw in the output of 'radosgw-admin
metadata get user:someuser" there is an 'attrs' structure that looked
promising.  However it seems to be strict about what it accepts so I
wonder if that's really ok.  For example, I can collect the meta-data,
alter it, and with 'radosgw-admin metadata put' insert this back in
successfully (as well as get it back when I re-read metadata)

"attrs": [
            {
                "key": "user.rgw.idtag",
                "val": ""
            },
            {
                "key": "user.rgw.mynewvalue",
                "val": "DLJDFLKD"
            },
        ]

But...if the "val" is just one character any longer, there is an
error.   If the "val" is a number, also an error:
{
                "key": "user.rgw.mynewvalue",
                "val": "1234"  (or any string longer than 8 char)
 },
cat someuser.meta | radosgw-admin metadata put user:someuser
ERROR: can't put key: (22) Invalid argument

So....is there some other way or place to put my additional attributes
in the user object?   Version I am experimenting with is Mimic.

thanks,
Ben