Re: /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-{node}/store.db on mon nodes

On 1/16/19 10:36 AM, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16/01/2019 09:02, Brian Topping wrote:
>
>> I’m looking at writes to a fragile SSD on a mon node,
>> /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-{node}/store.db is the big offender at the
>> moment.
>> Is it required to be on a physical disk or can it be in tempfs? One
>> of the log files has paxos strings, so I’m guessing it has to be on
>> disk for a panic recovery? Are there other options?
> Yeah, the mon store is worth keeping ;-) It can get quite large with a
> large cluster and/or big rebalances. We bought some extra storage for
> our mons and put the mon store onto dedicated storage.

Yes, this can't be stressed enough. Keep in mind: If you loose the MON
stores you will effectively loose your cluster and thus data!

With some tooling you might be able to rebuild your MON store, but
that's a task you don't want to take.

Use a DC-grade SSD for your MON stores with enough space (~100GB) and
you'll be fine.

Wido