Using a cephfs mount as separate dovecot storage

I wanted to expand the usage of the ceph cluster and use a cephfs mount
to archive mail messages. Only (the below) 'Archive' tree is going to be
on this mount, the default folders stay where they are. Currently mbox
is still being used. I thought about switching storage from mbox to
mdbox.
I wondered if there is any experience here using dovecot like this, does
mdbox not require more io (which can be a problem on slow sata osd's)
and is it good to use the mdbox_rotate_size =4MB so this is better
aligned with cephfs storage and you do not waste to much space with
small files?

├── Archive
│   ├── 2017
│   │   ├── projects