KVM+Ceph: Live migration of I/O-heavy VM

Hi!

Currently I plan a migration of a large VM (MS Exchange, 300 Mailboxes
and 900GB DB) from qcow2 on ext4 (RAID1) to an all-flash Ceph luminous
cluster (which already holds lot's of images).
The server has access to both local and cluster-storage, I only need
to live migrate the storage, not machine.

I have never used live migration as it can cause more issues and the
VMs that are already migrated, had planned downtime.
Taking the VM offline and convert/import using qemu-img would take
some hours but I would like to still serve clients, even if it is
slower.

The VM is I/O-heavy in terms of the old storage (LSI/Adaptec with
BBU). There are two HDDs bound as RAID1 which are constantly under 30%
- 60% load (this goes up to 100% during reboot, updates or login
prime-time).

What happens when either the local compute node or the ceph cluster
fails (degraded)? Or network is unavailable?
Are all writes performed to both locations? Is this fail-safe? Or does
the VM crash in worst case, which can lead to dirty shutdown for MS-EX
DBs?

The node currently has 4GB free RAM and 29GB listed as cache /
available. These numbers need caution because we have "tuned" enabled
which causes de-deplication on RAM and this host runs about 10 Windows
VMs.
During reboots or updates, RAM can get full again.

Maybe I am to cautious about live-storage-migration, maybe I am not.

What are your experiences or advices?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Kevin