Re: move directories in cephfs

Moving data between pools when a file is moved to a different directory is most likely problematic - for example an inode can be hard linked to two different directories that are in two different pools - then what happens to the file?  Unix/posix semantics don't really specify a parent directory to a regular file.

That being said - it would be really nice if there were a way to move an inode from one pool to another transparently (with some explicit command).  Perhaps locking the inode up for the duration of the move, and releasing it when the move is complete (so that clients that have the file open don't notice any disruptions).  Are there any plans in this direction?

Andras

On 12/10/18 10:55 AM, Marc Roos wrote:
Except if you have different pools on these directories. Then the data
is not moved(copied), which I think should be done. This should be
changed, because no one will expect a symlink to the old pool.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack [mailto:ceph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 December 2018 15:14
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  move directories in cephfs

Having the / mounted somewhere, you can simply "mv" directories around

On 12/10/2018 02:59 PM, Zhenshi Zhou wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way I can move sub-directories outside the directory.
For instance, a directory /parent contains 3 sub-directories
/parent/a, /parent/b, /parent/c. All these directories have huge data
in it. I'm gonna move /parent/b to /b. I don't want to copy the whole
directory outside cause it will be so slow.

Besides, I heard about cephfs-shell early today. I'm wondering which
version will ceph have this command tool. My cluster is luminous
12.2.5.

Thanks